Mesa: A Smart Location for Intelligent CompaniesWith a population of nearly 500,000, Mesa, Arizona is the 36th largest city in the United States and second largest in the Phoenix-Mesa metro area and is larger than Miami, Minneapolis, Atlanta and St. Louis. Mesa encompasses 138 square miles inside a 21-city region that has a population of 4.7 million people, and is projected to grow to 6 million by 2030.
- A diverse and sustainable economy that features a balance of base industries that create high quality jobs.
- An educated workforce.
- A partnership of government and industry that considers next generation technologies and products as economic opportunities.
- Business people who see Mesa as their home and the world as their marketplace.
The City of Mesa Office of Economic Development works closely with your business throughout all phases of the development process to provide solutions and ensure your transition to starting, running, expanding or relocating your business in Mesa is smooth and successful.
FREE BUSINESS RESOURCES
Additional Guides for Starting a Business:
- Arizona Commerce Authority: Small Business Checklist
- U.S. Small Business Administration: 10 Steps to Starting a Business
- IRS: Guide to Starting a Business
- LAUNCHPOINT, Mesa Technology Accelerator
- Arizona Commerce Authority Entrepreneur’s Edge Start Up Guide
- Arizona Innovation Challenge
DOWNTOWN MESA PROGRAMS & ASSISTANCE
- Downtown Small Business Attraction Utility Rate Program - 25% reduction on electric and water bills for the first three years for qualifying new businesses in Downtown Mesa.
- Sprinkler Cost Assistance Program - Up to $20,000 assistance for construction of a sprinkler system in Downtown Mesa building.
STATE PROGRAMS & ASSISTANCE
Includes programs such as the Arizona Innovation Challenge, Small Business Services, Arizona Innovation Accelerator Fund, and incentive programs such as the Angel Investment Tax Credit, R&D Tax Credit and Job Training Grants.
PERMITTING & ZONING
- Planning & Zoning – Is my business allowed in a specific location? Are there specific design standards I need to follow?
- Commercial Construction – How do I determine what permits I need?
- Utility Permits/Service – Does my business have City of Mesa utility and service line needs?
CITY CODES & ORDINANCES
- Mesa Population & Demographics
- Mesa Maps
- Maricopa County Maps
- Maricopa Association of Governments
- Mesa Library
- Arizona Small Business Association
- Arizona Small Business Development Centers
- Phoenix Minority Business Development Agency
LOANS & FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
- State & Local Incentive Programs
- Neighborhood Economic Development Corporation (NEDCO)
- West Mesa Community Development Corporation
- Arizona Small Business Administration
- Maricopa County Industrial Development Authority
- Arizona Multi Bank Community Development Corporation
- Mesa Business Export Assistance Program (BEAP)
LICENSING & TAXES
- City of Mesa Licensing Office
- City of Mesa Tax Audit Department
- Maricopa County Treasurer’s Office
- State of Arizona Department of Revenue
- Federal Tax Information for Businesses
- Mesa Chamber of Commerce
- Downtown Mesa Association
- Mesa Neighborhood Outreach Office
- Arizona Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP)
GET YOUR BUSINESS ONLINE PROGRAM
A Google program focused on assisting businesses create an online presence for free for one year.